Systems Department Supervisor
With his interests in computing, electronics and music, Luke is well suited to the live performance industry. These days he is integral to all kinds of productions including West End theatre, TV, corporate events and launch parties.
His interest started at school when he helped with the sound and lights on Christmas plays and Battle of the Bands competitions. At college, he studied technical theatre arts before taking up an apprenticeship at White Light where he now works. “You move around the company seeing how everything works and gaining experience”.
Part of his role is managerial, but he is regularly called in to solve problems at live shows. “Sometimes it’s hardware, sometimes software, sometimes just a broken cable. I enjoy figuring it out”.
With West End shows, there’s a lot of pressure and sometimes long hours, but Luke thrives on it. “It’s satisfying to know that if you hadn’t helped there might not have been a show that evening”.
Luke's career pathway
- 2010 Left secondary school with GCSEs and attended the BRIT School for Performing Arts and Technology, Croydon, to study a Technical Theatre Arts course specialising in sound and then lighting
- 2012 Became an apprentice at White Light
- 2013 Was promoted to Technician in the Moving Lights Department which involved everyday maintenance and preparation of all moving lights
- 2014 Joined the Systems Department as a Systems Supervisor specialising in the control systems to manage equipment used in performances
- 2018 Promoted to Head of the Systems and Control Department at White Light