Software Support Specialist
Being inquisitive is part of Nicole’s nature. As a mainframe Support Technician, it’s also part of her job.
When a sports injury put paid to her childhood ambition, Nicole had some hard thinking to do. Fortunately, her career in technology provides its own diverse challenges.
A few years back she was scanning an apprenticeship website when she noticed an IBM advert in the corner. “I’m interested in how things work, so I thought I’d give it a try. What surprised me was how many different paths you could take within a technology career”.
Nicole now provides front-end support for mainframe computer customers – many of them large organisations, such as banks and major retailers. “When they call, I gather up all the information and diagnostic data so we can understand the issue and then resolve it”.
As well as providing an outlet for her inquisitiveness, the job also suits her liking for teamwork. “When a major issue comes up, it’s great getting everyone together to pull in all the
Nicole's career pathway
- 2010 Completed A-levels and left college
- 2011 Began an Advanced Apprenticeship Scheme in IT at IBM
- 2013 Completed the Advanced Apprenticeship and progressed to a Higher Apprenticeship in IT with the IBM Mainframe team
- 2015 Completed a Higher Apprenticeship and offered full-time role as Software Support Specialist
- 2018 Promoted to Software Engineer role with IBM’s Change Team