The Technician Commitment is delighted to be supporting the awards, now in its third year, to showcase the incredible skills of the technical community in higher education.
Each year the THE Awards exemplify the talent, dedication and innovation of individuals and teams across all aspects of university life and education.
The THE Awards are free to enter, and open to anyone involved in higher education across the UK and Ireland.
The 2021 shortlist will be published on 9 September, and the winners will be revealed at an in-person ceremony in London on 25 November 2021.
Outstanding Technician of the Year Award
This award will be given to an individual whose exceptional practical skills, commitment and vision have enabled the highest quality teaching, research or knowledge transfer.
It is open to technicians working in any discipline in UK or Irish universities and research institutes.
Supporters, signatories and individuals within Technician Commitment signatory organisations are encouraged to nominate the technical talents of themselves, colleagues and technical teams.
Entries will be accepted from institutions, technicians themselves, their colleagues or students, but in all cases testimonies must form part of the supporting documentation.
Submissions may address some or all of the following:
- A technician's essential contribution to a project or ongoing piece of work. How was the impact evaluated?
- How the nominee works with academics, students and others to build a strong working environment in which all parties thrive.
- If innovations or efficiencies have been delivered, tell us how this has been done.
- Beyond the day-to-day role, has the nominee been involved in building a strong community of technicians within an institution, or undertaken other activities in line with the aims of the Technician Commitment?
- Does the nominee represent technical staff on institutional committees or boards? If so, explain how they have successfully brought the technician's voice to its decision-making.