Senior Science Technician
Anjna’s job is to keep the school science department running, by developing, managing and organising the materials needed for all the science practicals done at Haringey Sixth Form.
During her own school days, Anjna always preferred practical activities to textbooks. “It really is a much better way to demonstrate certain scientific ideas.” Now she gets to make the practicals she liked so much happen for hundreds of school children a term.
When she moved to Haringey Sixth From, Anjna was faced with a new challenge. The Sixth Form was brand new and had no practicals set up as part of it. So, she had to set up a whole system across all three sciences (Biology, Chemistry, and Physics) from scratch. But that didn’t put her off!
In 2016 she was one of the winners of the Salters and CLEAPSS National Award for Science Technician of the Year. This award is given to Science Technicians that have made an outstanding contribution to their school science departments.
However, for Anjna, her real job satisfaction comes from seeing the success of the students she helps, some of whom will go on to become the future generation of scientists. “It’s really amazing when they come back and tell us how they’re getting on at university – that makes my whole job feel worthwhile.”
Anjna's career pathway
- 1984 Left school and joined the Inner London Education Authority as a Trainee Science Technician
- 1989 Spent one year working for a company as an Assistant Analytical Chemist
- 1992 Returned to working in a school as a Science Technician after the birth of her first child
- 1998 Studied part-time for a BSc in Health, Environmental & Biological Sciences, while carrying on her work as a Science Technician
- 2016 Moved to Haringey Sixth Form to become a Senior Science Technician