We’re very proud to be playing our part in the combined effort to tackle COVID-19 and we are collaborating with expert groups across the country to analyse the genetic code of COVID-19 samples circulating in the UK, providing public health agencies with a unique tool to combat the virus. https://www.sanger.ac.uk/news/view/uk-launches-whole-genome-sequence-alliance-map-spread-coronavirus
In response to the rapidly changing COVID-19 pandemic, the Sanger Institute and its neighbours on the Wellcome Genome Campus closed all but critical and essential operations, such as the COVID-19 sequencing project, from Friday 20 March.
This has meant that, like many technical staff across the country, a number of our technical colleagues are now working from home and a number of them are using this as opportunity to focus on their professional development.
To support them, and to continue to address the Technician Commitment theme of Career Development, we have compiled a range of sources of online training for our technical community. Given the collaborative ethos of the Technician Commitment, we are keen to share these with the wider Technician Commitment community.
Please note that these courses are not endorsed by the Wellcome Sanger Institute, we are simply signposting resources and training materials that are available online.
We hope you find the resources we have collated helpful and we look forward to learning about your remote working experiences at a future Technician Commitment Signatory Event.
Please feel free to follow us at our Twitter address: @TechComm_Sanger, we will add new resources and trainings on our account regularly. Please comment if you know any further useful sites.
General scientific teaching websites with large catalogues
- Many courses on science, maths, technology, education: https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue
- Varied scientific topics, teaching courses, IT, programming: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses
- Courses in Cell biology, Biochemistry, Statistics and Data Science, Programming: https://www.classcentral.com/collection/ivy-league-moocs
- Free online courses from our own Connecting Science Programme – including genetic counselling, bacterial genome: https://coursesandconferences.wellcomegenomecampus.org/event-type/online-courses/
- Wide range of fascinating scientific talks: https://www.ted.com/talks?topics%5B%5D=science
- Videos introducing topics around genomics and work on Campus: https://www.yourgenome.org/videos/
- Talks from Wellcome Sanger Institute Conferences and Courses: https://www.youtube.com/user/wtcoursesandconfs/videos
- Introduction to programming, software development: https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue
- Programming, Security, Technical Support, Project Management: https://learndigital.withgoogle.com/digitalgarage/courses
- Introduction to Data Sciences, Data Analysis: http://rafalab.github.io/pages/teaching.html
- Pathogen Informatics training (Unix for Bioinformaticians, Introduction to Blast and many more): https://github.com/sanger-pathogens/pathogen-informatics-training
- Cell culture basics (videos): https://www.thermofisher.com/uk/en/home/references/gibco-cell-culture-basics.html
- Specialised cell culture (iPSC) : http://www.hipsci.org/cells#for-your-research
- Histology, microscopy and more: https://ww.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue
- Introduction to Flow Cytometry: https://www.bdbiosciences.com/us/support/s/itf_launch
Public Engagement, STEM education, Communication, Career Development
- Courses on education: https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue
- Courses on STEM teaching: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses
- Career development, Communication, Networking, Influencing People: https://learndigital.withgoogle.com/digitalgarage/courses
- STEM teaching resources: https://www.stem.org.uk/resources/search
- LinkedIn has many courses on professional development, even more if you register for free for a month. But here are the 10 Free LinkedIn Learning Courses That'll Make You a Better Professional: https://learning.linkedin.com/blog/education/10-free-linkedin-learning-courses-that-ll-make-you-a-better-prof